12.07.2005

Richard Pryor


Richard Pryor fans should check out this page of excerpts from his comedy routines. Richard Pryor is my favorite comedian. I've been an avid listener to comedy since a young age. Some listeners find the frankness of his language upsetting. I find it exact. His self deprecating, harrowing humor always appeals to me, everything is in play. That he can readily call himself nigger affectionately, blows my mind. To my ear he has appropriated the term in such a way that he has given it a different meaning altogether within his routines. Quentin Tarantino said That Nigger is Crazy is the great American novel. This statement is both silly and spot on...and very typical of Tarantino. What Tarantino misses is that he can't use nigger like Pryor can, it doesn't work when he uses it in his films. Pryor earns his language whether he is speaking autobiographically or in a persona. Tarantino tries to use this same language as an effect rather than it being an organic language that is part of world that he creates, and thus earns. Many comedians post Pryor make this same mistake and their work lacks resonance because of this. I would say that Pryor's use of the word bitch isn't quite as comical to my ear. It is consistent with the rest of his language, but the humor loses some of its comical value largely because it relates to his personal life in a way that is not so comical. I can laugh at him talking about his drug addiction, which isn't funny either, because the humor is self directed. Including himself as subject matter, prey to the same barbs, removes any implicit animosity and makes his humor egalitarian. And really m**#%$ f*&^%$@ funny.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Andre Elliott said...

Jess,

Thanks for this link. I'm a huge Pryor fan myself (I'm interested in the social function of comedy). Your assesment of his work is spot on. I'll go one step further. As a good friend of mine once said, "I would count Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy among the most
important orators and civil rights activists in the Twentieth Century."

4:43 PM  
Blogger richard lopez said...

kevin, i'd second the pryor statement, but not murphy. he's done nothing relevant, or funny, in over 20 years. most of murphy's material is self-aggrandizing, shallow and stupidly tasteless. not that i have anything against either of those. pryor could be all three but his kind of comedy was funny, and necessary, all the way to the end. pryor is more than deprecating, his comedy was a salve to society in very tumultous era. his kind of funny is up there with swift, satirical, edgy, and unforgettable.

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home