9.13.2005

conversation

AT: You're going to look like Whalen when you get older.

JM: Thanks. Don't you think he's a bit larger.

AT: I mean from the neck up.

JM: Still that's a little...

AT: I mean that in the best way, he's not a bad looking...

JM: Well...then you're going to look like Ted Berrigan.

Brook's History of the World Part I, "Your highness you look like the piss boy." "And you look like a bucket of shit." Echoes.

Certainly no offense taken, and no vanity intended. I'd do well to look like Whalen, and Aaron doesn't really look like Ted B, and probably won't unless he starts hitting the Pepsi and pharmaceuticals.

Currently immersed in Whalen's poetry and interviews. What a polymath.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I was thinking about the eyes more than anything. The solidity & wisdom. (& the bald and the glasses too, but mostly the eyes).

This reminds me that occasionally I have a theory wherein every poet today is the physical reiteration of a poet of the past. Sean Cole always reminds me of the young Ginsberg (though also, in a different light, the young Philip Levine). Jess, Whalen. Etc.

This theory always falls apart when I try to come up with more examples than "Etc." But I know they're there.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

O, & sometimes Rizzo reminds me of the young Creeley, only w/the eye.

8:32 PM  
Blogger richard lopez said...

aaron,

i've toyed with that idea too. not in just physical looks but dates of birth and death. iterations after iterations which soon looks like a mandelbrot set. all one big organic-looking mass. but me? perhaps i'll simply look like uncle fester without the lightbulb.

1:22 AM  
Blogger Jess Mynes said...

_The Bald and the Glasses_, wasn't Kirk Douglas and Lana Turner in that.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Christopher said...

Whalen's better than, say, Pound after 13 years in an asylum. Or Zuk. If my eyebrows ever get that huge, somebody needs to let me know.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Jess Mynes said...

Yeah Zuk's got the Scorsese caterpillar happening. Defintely Rizzo as a young Creeley, maybe we can get a carved wooden bird for a Rizzo author photo, like on the back of _For Love_ or _The Charm_, I forget which.

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home